Thursday, October 11, 2012

Wednesday, the 10th of October


We decided to try out our footpath today.  First though we had to wait for our mail carrier to arrive.  Greg had received a text about a package coming from the cable company.  For the first time I finally heard him arrive and was able to step out and introduce myself.  His name, of course, is Peter.  I’m beginning to think this might be a game they play with newcomers.  Everyone just introduces themselves as Peter no matter what their name might be.  Nice guy.  Seems a bit skittish of the pups. 

Introductions done, we were off for an adventure.  I’d been curious how long it would take to walk The Nidderdale Way into Pateley Bridge.  We have yet to figure out how to get from the house to Wath without walking on the road.  Today it wasn’t a bad road walk since traffic was very light.  On the weekends the traffic can be very busy.  At the bus stop at Wath we crossed the old bridge over the River Nidd.  Then we had the narrow little log bridge that the footpath crosses.  Deep breath… to get across this with two pups on leads with none of us slipping.  I had considered sending River across on her own but I looked ahead a saw sheep grazing in the pasture and decided against that plan.  Turned out to be much easier than I expected.  River walked ahead, MacGyver behind and we all took it slow.  No problem.  But that was just the first of many new obstacles for us to learn our way through. 
Now we found ourselves in a pasture with a flock of sheep.  Some sheep ignored us.  Some moved away.  The pups took no interest.  It was a good start.  The footpath itself was interesting.  Unlike the dirt trails we are used to following, this one was grass.  And though it went through a grass field it was still clear which direction people had been walking.  Straight across the field toward the rock wall on the other side. 

The first rock wall had steps built into either side.  Then across another field.  In this field the path was lined with giant old trees.  This is where I saw my first tuft of wool.  I had joked with a friend that walks around the neighborhood were for collecting wool.  Unfortunately this tuft of wool was lying on a pile of manure.  I passed.  The next passage was through a swinging V gate.  These are a little more complicated.  They require stepping through the gate into a small holding area, closing the gate and stepping out on the other side.  River preferred to try to force herself underneath. Since they are built to keep in sheep about her size, this didn’t work.  She had to learn patience and take the correct route.  MacGyver’s greatest fear has always been doorways and getting through these gates as a big deal for him.  To trust me enough to follow me into a small enclosure and then out the other side was hard for him.  But they both managed.  We had several of these types of gates on our way to Pateley.  By the end they were both getting very good at it. 

We cross another field with sheep, then into a field with lots of cow piles, but not sign of the cows nearby.  Eventually we entered a small wood with a dirt trail, which is much more familiar to us.  Before arriving in Pateley the River Nidd, which had been running off to our right took a turn and came up next to our footpath.  The last couple of fields we were walking along side the river.  As we arrived in the outskirts of Pateley we crossed over a bridge to the west side of the river and walked the trail next to a very large and active caravan (RV) park.  The footpath enters Pateley at the park on the north side of the village. 

I’d been thinking it might be nice to get some fish ‘n chips for lunch but realized I left the pounds Greg had given me on the counter at home.  All I had were dollars.  But I did have an apple and cheese and some Milkbones for the pups.  We sat on a bench in the park and had a picnic.  I forgot to look at the time when we left the house so I wasn’t exactly sure how long the trip had taken, but I believe it was about 45 minutes.  Considering we weren’t walking fast and we were taking time learning all the new gate crossings, I thought that was a pretty good length for a walk. 

When I stood and said it was time to go home River looked at me with such disappointment.  Her expressions are so vivid, it’s funny.  She wasn’t near ready to go home but the main street through town is so narrow I didn’t feel we could walk around safely.  Later I realized we could have taken the opportunity to explore the back roads and side streets of the village.  That will have to be our next adventure. 

By the time we got home I was sweaty.  It’s going to take some work to figure out how to dress in this damp and cold climate.  When we entered the house with the heat off I got chilled.  I took a hot bubble bath to warm back up, which of course made me sleepy.  Then we all crawled into bed for a nice afternoon nap.  Taking a nap every time I take a walk probably isn’t the most productive way to spend the day.  I’ll have to find a way to adjust not only clothes, but the house temp and my energy level.  But, for now, an afternoon nap isn’t too bad. 

The rest of the day was spent trying for organize clutter.  We have all this stuff that came with our express shipment, but without furniture no where to put it.  So there are just piles of stuff all over.  Every now and then I’ll sit down with one pile and at least figure out what should be in what room.  And then I make more piles out of the one pile and put them into different rooms.  I’m just really moving around clutter.  The rest of the household shipment can’t get here soon enough. 

Then I made dinner.  In the evenings Greg and I have been watching movies that I had recorded from old VHS tapes and saved on my hard drive.  We’ve just about gone through them all now.  We spent most of the night watching videos of the kids when they were little.  They were so cute!  Well, they’re still pretty cute.  Missing them today.

No comments: