Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Thursday, the 11th of October


Today at lunch Greg came home to pick me up so that I could get some errands done on base.  I had about four hours free to get some things accomplished.  Driving around the base was pretty good practice.  The base is small and the speed limit low so there shouldn’t be too much pressure.  Still, at one point I drove around the block a couple of times because other cars were following so close behind me I couldn’t make the turn into narrow parking spaces.  I managed to get through the afternoon without a mistake. 

 First I started at the library checking email and financials, but best of all I caught Lydia on Skype.   Since I was at the library I didn’t turn on the video.  Instead we just chatted by text.  It’ll be nice to have internet at the house and be able to see the kids again.  …soon.  Then off to the exchange.  I’m about ready to give up on the exchange, I rarely find anything I’m looking for there.  The only other option for shopping is to go into Harrogate and that’s the last thing Greg wants to do in his time off.  But I’m afraid we are just going to have to break down and do it this weekend.

 The commissary was next and seems to be a bit better stocked.  I’m working at figuring out how to stock the fridge with keeping in mind how small my fridge is here.  I’ve cooked for so many for so long and for the past several years I’ve had two large refrigerators and a chest freezer.   With my Costco card in hand I’d stock up with groceries for weeks at a time.  It’s going to be a big adjustment for me to shop small and often.  I guess I’ll have to work out a way to shop fresh nearby in Pateley Bridge and things I can stock up on from the commissary. 

I do have shelf space for stocking up.  We have a large pantry with very roomy shelves.  The downside is that the shelves are very tall.  I can just reach the bottom of the cabinet door.  The knob for the door is so high, I can’t imagine anyone could reach it.  …not sure what the thinking was there.  They will be very useful cabinets as soon as we get a ladder.  Until then, they are sitting empty. 

After the commissary I had my first experience pumping gas at the base station.  It was just a little frightening.  The pump is very old and made a loud noise while it pumped.  I was glad when the car finished filling up, but then came the best part.  If you fill up your tank you get a free Reese Cup.  I haven’t had a Reese Cup in years. However, it gave me a sugar buzz so I saved the second for Greg. 

 And once more back to the library.  I didn’t connect with Lydia this time.  I was going to work on a practice driving test but there wasn’t time.  Instead I searched the DVD shelves for something for Greg and I to watch tonight.  I found Calendar Girls.  I knew Greg would just be thrilled. 

The four hours flew by and it was time to pick Greg up from work.  We headed home, unloaded groceries and made some dinner.   We’ve moved our little temporary couch into the same room with the folding table and my spinning wheel.  We are trying to figure out how to keep the heating down as much as possible.  We curled up on the little couch with a bowl of chili and watched Calendar Girls.  I caught Greg laughing a time or two.  






No comments: