Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thursday, the 4th of October


Today was a big day.  We started early by saying goodbye to our apartment in Harrogate.  It had been convenient, but very cramped with the pups.  They behaved wonderfully with very little barking.  But even the smallest amount of barking worries me when I am so close to the neighbors.  And I have to say I am more than done with hauling suitcases up and down four flights of stairs. 

Housing brought out some basic furniture to hold us over until our household goods arrive.  A couch, which turns out to actually be a love seat, coffee table, wooden folding table, four chairs, a bed, two wardrobes, microwave, three transformers (for plugging in electric appliances) and a dryer should help out a lot.  We will be able to keep the wardrobes, microwave, transformers and the dryer for as long as we want while living here.  That will be a great help since there are no closets and the washer/dryer combo holds about two pair of jeans at a time… and takes HOURS to run.  The extra dryer helps cut down wash time considerably.  Turns out that two wardrobes won’t be near enough.  Greg filled them with just his suits.  Looks like we’ll be off to the auction house looking for old wardrobes soon, but that’s a whole other post. 

This was my first night attempting to cook in the new house.  We had a few groceries and some cheap dishes and cookware from the thrift store.  On Tuesday I had spent time reading through all of the appliance manuals in the house.  I know, that might be a bit obsessive, though I think it was more boredom.  Truth is, I needed to.  Except for the dishwasher all of the appliances are different than what I am used to.  It took two days to figure out how to turn on the refrigerator, the washing machine much longer and the stove may take weeks.  It’s electric, but it’s also induction.  If I had internet I’d look up what that means.  Apparently the burners will only work with ‘compatible’ pots and pans.  The really nice large Calphalon skillet I picked up at the thrift store is not compatible.  For the next several days we would be working out how to make dinner just using the oven. 

NEXT came figuring out the furnace.  

No comments: