Thursday, October 11, 2012

Friday, the 5th of October


Clearly we did not get the furnace figured out.  We FROZE all night.  Greg worked and worked with the controls.  He thought he had it set to come on about the time we would get up in the morning, but it didn’t.  Added to that, housing had brought bedding for the bed, but only a very thin sheet and blanket that were not near warm enough.  I don’t think either of us slept last night. 

The day was pretty quiet.  I’ve learned that as soon as the sun comes up the front room warms up beautifully and is a wonderful place to sit and read or whatever… maybe even nap after a lousy night’s sleep.  I actually accomplished quite a bit today.  I called the landlord (the water company) and got information on how to change the electric to our name, which has been difficult to figure out on our own.  I also called Sky and arranged to have TV, phone and internet hooked up.  After about fifteen years we will again have a landline, but only because it was the only way to get internet.  I couldn’t care less about the TV.  My phone call experiences were much better today.  I really don’t think I’m getting that much better at understanding which makes me think the first phone call earlier in the week may have actually been HER accent and not as much my lack of understanding. 

When Greg got home we decided it was time to give The Sportsman’s Arm another chance.  They are only open for dinner from 7 to 9pm, so it was a long wait for dinner for me but it was well worth the wait!  It was not traditional pub food, but it was by far the best meal I’ve had in England yet.  I had an amazing salmon… of course with potatoes, but that seems to come with everything here.  The salmon was one of the best I’ve had anywhere.  …and it’s at The Sportsman’s Arm, just a couple hundred yards from our house!  How convenient is that? 

Home to bed and another night of freezing and trying to figure out the furnace.

No comments: