Thursday, October 11, 2012

Monday, the 8th of October


Greg had the day off work because of Columbus Day.  I guess Brits don’t celebrate Columbus.  We had to hang around the house anyway.  Our express shipment was arriving between 8 and 5pm.  We were very surprised when they showed up about 10am.  We assumed we would be hanging around all day waiting. 

Since this shipment was small, basically a ‘starter pack’, it didn’t take long to unload.  We were allowed 700 pounds for this shipment and our weight came in just under that.  It was mostly clothes, linens and cooking utensils.  (And my new bike.  =)  We picked it up just before we left.  It’s a cute little cruiser just perfect for riding into the village. )  We just dumped everything in the drawing room.  It’ll make a good project for me on Tuesday. 

First thing I had to check out of the shipment were my pots.  Would they work on this crazy induction stove?  The first one I tried is from an older set that I have and it didn’t work.  Then I tried my new skillet… yes!  Then the saucepan…  yes!  Then the kettle… yes!  Whew.  I did not want to be forced to replace all my good cookware. 

We left everything else just lying in the floor and decided to take a ride into town.  I thought I’d try driving just a little further.  I can make it almost all the way into town and stop at the Riverside Car Park.  That way I wouldn’t have to deal with downtown traffic or parking on the street.  It went really well.  Greg gasped a couple times.  Something about almost hitting the rock wall on the left.  I didn’t think I was that close.  I made it without incident. 

Greg took over from there and went in search of street parking that we didn’t have to pay for.  So far everywhere we have parked in Pateley Bridge requires payment.  After driving up and down every back street we finally found an open space.  I think walks or bike rides into town will have lots of benefits. 
My next big scary thing to try with driving is going uphill.  Our car has very little power and to get out of Pateley Bridge in any direction requires going uphill.  Once there was even road work that required Greg to stop on the hill.  He really struggled with getting started back up without rolling backwards.  Now that scares me.  …and I’m not even thinking about driving into town and tackling roundabouts yet!

About the heat, Greg may have figured it out.  After searching and searching the house over we finally found a thermostat hidden behind a door in the Sitting Room.  We had been trying to close off any rooms we weren’t using but apparently the Sitting Room will determine the heat of any rooms we want to heat.  This is going to be complicated.  Hopefully we’ll have it figured out before it gets very cold.

No comments: