Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sunday, the 30th of September


Sunday, the 30th of September
On Sunday morning we needed to make a grocery run for just a few things and decided to check-out the local Walmart store, ASDA.  Most stores here are closed on Sunday so apparently everyone goes to ASDA on Sundays.  It was crazy. 

I guess that brings me to figuring out this strange money.  I think I’ve figured out the paper money, though it’s hard to remember that a £10 note is worth around $16.  The coins on the other hand are tougher.  There are £1 and £2 coins.  I’m finding it difficult not to think of them as just a nickel or quarter.  I’m so used to tossing coins into a change jar, but they are actually REAL money.  On top of that, when shopping on base we use dollars and not pounds.  *sigh*  I’m sure I’ll figure it out with time.

After shopping we drove out to Pateley Bridge to meet Norm and Judy at The Sportsman’s Arm, the local pub near our house.  Though The Sportsman’s Arm might be a bit upscale to call a Pub.  We met in the bar and planned to eat, but the food looked a little too expensive for Greg and Norm.  They were thinking more of traditional pub food for lunch.  So after having a drink we drove to another nearby village to The Wellington for dinner.  Sunday dinners are traditional ‘roasts’ and The Wellington is known for having a good one.  I think that may have been the longest meal I have ever had.  After being seated no one came for take our order for a good 45 minutes, then another 30 or so before starters arrived, then longer for the rest of the food.  It took three hours to eat that meal.  According to Norm and Judy that’s not normal, but next time we go for Sunday roast at a Pub, I won’t go hungry.  The food however, was good, a real ‘rib sticking’ meal of roast beef, chips (potatoes) and bread (Yorkshire pudding).  

No comments: