Thursday, October 11, 2012

Tuesday, the 9th of October


And there it is, finally caught up to date.  It’s been complicated trying to think back on the past week or so.  Hopefully now I’ll be able to write each day so I don’t miss the interesting stuff.

Speaking of interesting stuff, I did miss something yesterday.  Last week when I met Peter he warned me that the dam would be a busy place on Monday.  He said it will usually be very quiet around here but on Monday they would have a work crew out doing maintenance on the dam.  It seems that there is a vault that opens with a chain to let water flow through the dam.  The chain had broken.  They were having divers come out to repair the chain. 

Yesterday morning first thing this large truck arrived with a remote control vehicle loaded on it.  We watched a workman remotely drive it off the truck and down the dam.  Cars came and went all day.  At one point we could see what looked like an orange inflatable boat next to the dam, but we never actually saw the divers.  Eventually they all packed up and left.  Later last night I stepped outside and heard the strangest noise coming from the dam.  It sounded like a large chain dragging on something.  Then this morning first thing, the truck with the remote control vehicle was back.  Even more cars are coming and going.  I assume they are having some problems fixing the problem. 

But we’ve been told this place is normally very quiet.  The last tenants, also employed at the base, decided to move after just a year because her husband traveled all the time and she felt it was too isolated.  It doesn’t feel isolated to me at all!  I think there are more cars and bicycles passing by here throughout the day than there were at our house in Colorado.  This place is popping.  I can’t wait to get completely settled in so we can get out and explore the area more.  

No comments: