Sunday, December 6, 2009

Second Sunday of Advent... and Christmas movies



We lit the second candle tonight at dinner, read about the prophecy of Bethlehem and hung the next ornament on the Jesse Tree.  I'm not sure when I was last this consistent with Advent celebrations.  A sign of how quiet my life is right now.  We have almost all of the Christmas presents wrapped and hidden away.  Wow, it feels great to say that this early in the month!

This afternoon as it snowed away outside we sat by the fire in the basement and watched Christmas movies.  Greg got first pick and as usual picked Scrooged.  I think it's just enough not like a Christmas movie to make him happy... and then Carol Kane is just a riot as the Angel of Christmas present.  I have to say though if I picked a Christmas Carol telling I would go with the Muppets.  Gonzo and Rizzo do an excellent job of telling the tale.  For classics Lydia and I both go straight to White Christmas, we still have that one yet to watch this year.  A few days ago on a quiet afternoon we watched While You Were Sleeping and Home Alone 3 (my favorite of the series).  Today after Scrooged we chose The Christmas Story, always a funny choice with so many classic lines.  Still have Gremlins to watch, and of course for Greg the great classic Christmas movie, Die Hard. 

Most of our movies unfortunately are on VHS.  Each year we make a slow move to DVD, but I'm afraid the old VCR isn't going to last much longer.  I'm sure we'll get all our favorites on DVD just as the next big thing comes along.  *sigh*   I suspect there will be plenty of Christmas movie time this week since it's supposed to keep snowing for a couple days.  Hopefully the VCR will hold out!

No comments: