Monday, December 7, 2009

A Cup of Christmas Cheer

The thermometer didn't break out of the single digits today.  Brrrr...  I spent the day huddled in front of the fireplace reading and sketching.  Days like this of course call for something warm to drink.  Before sinking into my cozy chair by the fire I turned on the stove under the tea kettle.  When the whistle began to blow I headed to the kitchen and started to reach for my usual cup, but then I remembered the one Christmas favorite I have yet to unpack.  Above the stove in the rarely opened cabinet are all of my Christmas plates, bowls, platters AND the favorite Christmas cups.

 I have several treasured cups all with wonderful memories.   A couple of them I received from friends as gifts and when I use them I think of those relationships and how special those friendships are to me.   I still have two cups from Greg's and my first Christmas together and a few just fun ones we have picked up along the way. 

Today I drank tea but may favorite thing, no surprise, to drink from a Christmas cup is hot chocolate.  A few years ago after watching the movie Chocolat with a group of girlfriends, I went on a mission to find a great hot chocolate recipe.  I did find a very good one though I adjust it a little each year.  The secret is to use a good quality dark chocolate and real whipped cream for the dollop on top.  To finish it off, sprinkle on a small amount of chili pepper, just like in the movie.  I prefer ancho.  In a pinch, Godiva makes an excellent instant dark chocolate mix.  And if it's for an evening dessert chocolate just a dash of peppermint schnapps is a nice touch.  Another snow storm is on its way into our area tonight.  I expect tomorrow I'll be putting those cups to good use.  



No comments: