Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Working my way out of a fog

My eyes popped open suddenly.  

Whoa, what happened?  

It's such an unsettling feeling to fall asleep unexpectedly.  I didn't even realize I was tired.  

I was doing something...  I can't remember what... sitting in my comfy chair next to the fireplace.  

Next thing I know Caleb is standing over me with his phone in hand saying Lydia needs a ride home from school.  

Now an hour later I'm still trying to shake that foggy disoriented feeling.  

We celebrated our countdown to Christmas today with temperatures in the single digits again and an insignificant amount of additional snow.  Tomorrow we plan a heat wave of 21 degrees and a reprieve in the snow accumulation for a few days.  This is a good thing because I've had two active golden retrievers inside for forty eight hours and they might explode soon without some serious outdoor run time.  This just isn't natural... so they tell me.  

I'm also counting down my drop over the other side of the hill, mountain, whatever.  We're at 15 days and counting until my 50th birthday.  FIFTY!  How did that happen!?  I'm pretty sure I lost ten years somewhere.  Maybe it was in that sleepy fog.  

It's time to start to planning Christmas parties.  Our church small group, we call a Life Group, will be having a party this Friday.  I've begun pulling out our party supplies.  Last year we hosted Greg's work party and I stored away leftover paper supplies and have plenty for this year.  Yay!  No shopping.  Now to plan a simple, but good menu.  I love that part!  I'm hoping this party will be a great way to start making bonds in this new group.  

The other holiday gathering we have is a group from Greg's work.  It's the large 'sort of' office party.  They have a White Elephant exchange that is supposed to be a food or drink theme, but really is about the alcohol.  I'm going to be a rebel this year and take food.  Sometimes you've got to be wild and crazy.  

Then we'll top the weekend off with Sweaterfest at church.  Two years ago Greg had just been through the appendix episode and though we went, we didn't last long.  Last year we had tickets but the morning of the party we got a call from the Golden Retriever Rescue to come and meet a potential adoptee.   MacGyver came to live with us that afternoon.  We didn't feel comfortable taking off for a party with a brand new rescue dog in the house, not good for him or the house.  So we missed Sweaterfest.  I think this year we'll make it. 


Surprising myself with our faithfulness with the Jesse Tree, still getting it done each evening.  Amazing. 

No comments: