Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Focusing on the Who

I remember some time ago learning a lesson about focus... the hard way.  Both kids were still in high school and running on the homeschool cross country team.  Greg was usually their coach but he was going to be out of town the week before a big meet.  He left me with detailed instructions which, to be honest, I didn't plan to follow through on since running's just not my thing.

However, as the meet approached my conscious got the best of me and I decided to work with the kids on running.  Greg had suggested that I ride a bike along with them on a trail and proposed two trails for training.  When we finally got the bike loaded in the car and everyone dressed and ready to run it was getting close to dusk.  We decided to go with the closer option... and the one Caleb and Lydia assured me had no hills.  Seeing as how I hadn't been on a bike in a long time the elevation gain and loss of the trail was very important to me.  We headed to the Base to ride the trail around the golf course.

After pulling into the parking lot the kids got out of the car and immediately began their warm up and stretching routine.  I pulled out the bike (okay, not quite that simply, but I did finally get it out) and put on my helmet.  When Caleb pointed out that I had the helmet on backward I laughed and acted like I did that on purpose.  I had no clue.  He took off running pretty quickly after that, I believe afraid that someone would see him with me.

With the kids off and running I hopped on the bike and took off, just a little wobbly at first.  Immediately, and I mean IMMEDIATELY the trail headed UP hill.  What?!  I thought this was a flat trail.  I could see Caleb just going around a curve at the top of the mountain, I mean hill, and yelled "I thought this was a flat trail?!"  Over his shoulder he yelled back "It's flatter than the other trail!"  and disappeared not to be seen again until we were back at the car.  "Seriously!?"  I began to suspect my children were Liars.

One hill was followed by another hill.  Trying to recall how to ride a bike while going up and down hills and thinking up good punishments at the same time is some feat.  But then I discovered the problem of focus.  Leveling off at the top of the first hill was a log just on the right side of the trail.  In my effort to concentrate on not hitting it I found I couldn't take my eyes off of it.  And even though my mind was saying "don't go that way!"  My body went straight for the log!  Luckily I was going slow enough not to go head over heels.  Next was a groundhog on the side of the trail.  ...straight for him!  He ran fast.  Soon I a met a runner coming from the other direction.  By this time I had learned my lesson and I stopped, smiled and said a friendly hello as if I was taking a break, not concerned that I might run him over.

My lesson from that day, besides my kids lie...  Whatever I focus my eyes on, I go toward.  And not just on a bike, it's true about, well, everything.  I've been very distracted this week and I've known it was happening, I just let my focus stray.  I've been so busy with the Christmas 'stuff', the parties, food, shopping, cards...  not bad stuff, but it draws my attention away from the direction I really want to be going.  I love all the activities and traditions that go with this time of year.  Even those things that are meant to keep my attention on the true meaning of Christmas can become busy work distracting my attention from the Who Christmas is about.

Now to refocus my sights back on the Who of CHRISTmas.

No comments: