Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas ornaments

Last night at the Life Group party we did another White Elephant exchange.  This time of year these types of gift exchanges can get so old, expensive and really hard to figure out what to bring.  But for this exchange we stole an idea from our friends back in Maryland.  While living there for several years our church leadership would have a Christmas party with a White Elephant ornament exchange.  It got to be quite an event over the years.  The more we did it the more interesting and sometimes even crazy the ornaments became.  Everyone looked forward to it.   Last night we introduced our Life Group to the idea.  At first the game started off with only presents being opened, then someone broke the ice and started stealing.  Some very funny ornaments popped up and the game began to warm up.  It was fun, but I think next year, as we get to know each other better that the game will get a little more heated... and fun.  

I love our time decorating the tree.  Well, after the lights are on.  Lights are just frustrating.  But then... come the ornaments.  Every Christmas it's like opening a box of memories.  We have one giant plastic storage box just with ornaments for the tree, each one carefully wrapped and packed away after the last holiday season.  I pull off the lid and begin taking out the treasures.  There are so many I like to lay them out on the coffee table before arranging on the tree.  About half of them aren't even mine.  Greg's Aunt Nell started giving the kids a special Hallmark year ornament when they were born.  So they each have a 1st to 5th year childhood ornament.  Then, my parents began several years ago giving each of their grandkids an ornament for Christmas.  Caleb and Lydia have several from them, including a beautiful one from Mom's mission trip to Russia.

By the time I have sorted out all the kids ornaments, we're about half way through the box.  But I have several special pieces as well.  There are all the ones from the exchange in Maryland, gifts from friends, a few reminding of us pets we've had and we saved one of each of the angel ornaments the kids and I made for several years.  Some remind me a special people.  I have a white yarn angel a friend in Hawaii gave me.  I lost contact with her and haven't seen her in years, but every time I look at that angel I'm reminded of her smile.  I have a little clay figure of Castro that the chaplain's wives made at Guantanamo Bay back in 1987 encouraging us to pray for the Cuban people.  (who would have thought this many years later Castro would still be around!)  And I have a couple ornaments from homeschool friends who were such an encouragement to me. 

I've seen stunningly decorated Christmas trees with matching ornaments, bows, ribbons and lights.  Last year I watched a video of a very creative method for decorating a tree that I thought was fascinating.  But I don't know, it just wouldn't be the same.  I could do something artsy and creative but it just wouldn't have the same feeling that I get when I look at my tree.  You can have the glitter and glitz, I'll keep my memories.

No comments: