Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Finally!

I started this blog off in January with the statement that this year I would be turning 50 years old. Today was the day. Finally, made it to the top of the hill. I started to say it was a long hike, but the truth is it really didn't seem that long. I guess as they say, when you're having fun...

I've never really dreaded birthdays. I've heard people talk about how they had a hard time with turning a certain age. Seems like to me it's better to get older than not... really! Fifty does seem pretty old though when you say it as a number like that. It is half a century!

I've had several friends who I truly respect and admire go 'over the hill' ahead of me. They've scouted it out and tell me it's okay. Some of the best conversations I have are with those ladies. There is something about living a little life that gives the freedom to be transparent and real with others. I just crave the opportunities to share life with friends in that way.

There are also those on the journey ahead of me that have shown me that age does not limit accomplishments. When Lydia and I hiked the Appalachian Trail last year we walked with our friend Soaring (trail name) who at the time was 58. She is the strongest, fastest hiker I have ever walked with. This year she went back alone and completed the sections we missed. Age makes no difference.

So tomorrow I begin the second half of my life here on earth. There are so many opportunities I haven't gotten around to yet, so many places I still need to see, friends to be made, so many mountains to climb... Now, what to do first...

No comments: