Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just a little Lent ranting




I grew up in a small southern baptist church and never even heard of 
observing Lent as a child.

Over the years as we've moved around I've met more and more friends who do.

What confuses me is the talk.  
How often when a friend has 'given up' something for Lent they are so quick to tell about it.

If you are giving up something as a sacrifice to bring you closer to God doesn't it seem odd to announce it as often as you can to as many people as you can?

Isn't that a little like the guy in the synagogue praying just to be seen?  

Good for you, celebrate Lent, but don't tell me about it.

And don't get me started on giving up 
diet Coke and Ice Cream.  
Only in America is that a 'sacrifice'.
(insert eye roll)

Just my thoughts.

No comments: